Friday 2 November 2012

Writing


This one is for everyone.


“Nowadays, communication has progressed to such a level that every single word is shortened to each individual’s likeable wish. For example, two is written as 2, someone as sum1 and so on.

See boys, how many of you have the habit of writing letters???”

Numb silence and blank expressions replaced the dull sleepy looks on the faces of my fellowmates in the Verbal class.

“In those days, we used to write a lot and that gave us immense satisfaction.”




I looked around. Not many were paying attention. 




My teachers’s words didn’t have any effect on them. But pangs of guilt started welling up inside my heart. ‘In those days’, I did write but in the form of letters to my father. He used to come back late night from his office and start off again early in the morning the next day barely any time for conversation. I used to sleep at 8 pm and get up late. My dad appreciated my letters a lot. He loved my writing style and always encouraged me.


I felt ashamed. Nowadays, I barely even email him. Where and when did all those good habits dry up?? With regret, I forced my mind back to the drab active-passive voice exercises being worked out.


On my way back to my hostel, I did a firm retrospection and found myself wanting on a lot of counts. Writing 20 posts in advance for my blog in just a week was no mean feat, especially when I did so during my summer vacations. But what shall I say? It has been four months since my first working day of the odd semester and I haven’t even started a single article. Life was so full and I was sucked into the vortex of college life. This and another thousand excuses I offered to my disgusted-yet-determined soul.


The evening went on as usual. Despite having lab exams, I indulged in some table tennis and canteen dinner for food. Suddenly, my phone started vibrating. One text message from Priyanka.We had studied together for a short time in one of those coaching centres and formed quite a few friends. It was indeed a long time since we had spoken or texted.I guess college life really kept people ticking. After exhancging the usual text pleasantries, she did grumble softly that went like ‘wanting to write but facing a block’.




I was surprised to hear that from someone whom I considered to be better than me. But this was not just about her. Looking back at my last few months as an amatuer writer, a lot of people around me have expressed their need to ‘put their thoughts down’. I realized I was no different from them in any way. Like I mentioned earlier, I hadnt written anything as of late and the last time I decided to wrench myself off the article-less streak, I failed to put pen on paper. This continued for 5 times. 


Not this time though. I thought about it for a while and hit upon an idea. I told Priyanka that she would find something useful from this article. This reason for this write up was her worry which is very common in all wanna be writers and it is because of her that I have started writing again after 4 months. So, kudos to her for that.

So Priyanka, if you (and all other budding writers with/without problems) are reading this, I have decided to share whatever I have experienced and gained from a mere but a very learning four months of blogging, in this post.


     1.  Every blogger or writer would definitely encourage other enthusiasts with this common point: Start yourself in a small this-is-my-first-article way instead of worrying about whether it makes sense, the format, whether people would like it, the length, the genre and all other such worrsiome thoughts that hinder your real capacity to give your best when you put pen on paper.

  
      2.   One thing that really irked me was the fact that I kept giving excuses. I avoided expressing my thoughts fully whenever I felt the strong desire to immediately write it down. Never ever postpone the need to write on a particular theme or idea. Once postponed, it is gone forever because even if you bring it back, you may find yourself struggling to unite your heart and language that is very crucial to strike a fine balance when you express freely.
  

      3.   And lastly, be open to everything around you. Nature, mankind and their intertwined history having come a long way to the present, all have a deep influential presence. Something like a wavelength that can be sensed when you are that same wavelength yourself. Needless to say, we are all one with nature and other creations. So don’t resist whatever comes your way and accept it if it fits your figment of imagination or reality. Did I make any sense in this point?? I think I did. I had to read that again myself!!


So my dear budding brother and sister writers of all ages, don’t hold yourself back. Let your creative juices flow and experience the satisfaction after seeing your own work of writing/article in a blog. Such satisfaction will always occupy a special place in your heart and transport you to your own memories during times when you seek a break from the worldly activites.

5 comments:

  1. Brava Aravind!!! I absolutely loved this post!! I for one am very happy for you for finally realizing who you are and re-establishing your love of writing and learning!! You are an inspiration to us all and I myself have been needing to hear these very same words.. many many things have hindered me in the past and I too have been postponing the one thing I really want most for myself, and that's writing a book!! Thank you so much for sharing your insight on this! That deserves a plus one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      That was very encouraging. Thank you so much.
      All His grace!

      Delete
  2. Thanks to the SMS and Chat age :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. huh?? Thanks??
      I think I get you. But we should be condemning them.

      Delete
  3. I agree with the points 2 and 3!
    Good one Aravind.. Hope to see more posts coming in..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Copyscape

Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Checker